Kentucky Paralegal Requirements & Resources
Becoming a Paralegal in Kentucky
Even though the State of Kentucky does not regulate the education or training requirements of paralegals, the Kentucky Paralegal Association has crafted a voluntary certification program. To become a Certified Kentucky Paralegal, an individual must meet one of the following education requirements before they can sit for the examination:
- Graduation from an ABA approved course of paralegal studies (Official transcript required); or
- Graduation from a paralegal course of study which is not ABA approved, but is in substantial compliance with ABA approval guidelines (Official transcript required); or
- Graduation from an appropriately accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in any field (Official transcript required) plus one (1) year of paralegal work experience verified by the supervising lawyer (on form provided with application); or
- As of May 14, 2012 , a minimum of 5 years work experience as a paralegal performing substantive legal tasks under the supervision and direction of a licensed attorney. Said experience must be attested to by the paralegal’s supervising attorney (on form provided with application) and verified by the Kentucky Paralegal Association Certification Committee.
- Any person with a minimum of five (5) years of verifiable work experience as a paralegal, accrued prior to May 14, 2012, will be given constructive credit for the education requirements. Intent to seek constructive credit must be submitted to the CKPP, Inc., on a form provided by the CKPP, Inc.
Applicants must submit documentary verification of completion of education and work experience requirements. KPA membership is not required to sit for the exam but, once certified, KPA membership is required to maintain CKP status.
Professional Paralegal Associations
Greater Lexington Paralegal Association
Kentucky Paralegal Association (KPA)
The need for a state paralegal organization had been recognized for years and the groundwork was laid at the first paralegal Forum held in Louisville, Kentucky in November 1989. Following the Forum, organizational meetings were held and the Kentucky Paralegal Association (KPA) was officially formed with the filing of the Articles of Incorporation in September, 1990.
Louisville Association of Paralegals